Glossary of Terms

Contact Us
Acceptable Solution

As part of the Building Act 2004, an acceptable solution is a building solution that is accepted by the building consent authority (usually your local council) as complying with the Building Code.

Apron Flashing

The flashing (metal) that covers the joint between the roof and a vertical surface (such as a chimney) that diverts water into a gutter.


A moulding used as a surround to a door or window to cover the gap between the wall and the joinery.


The handrail beside a staircase or along the edge of a balcony or veranda.

Barge Board

The flat board at the edge of a gable roof.


Building Consent Authority - the organisation empowered to issue building consents, inspect construction and certify completion of building work. This is usually your local council. 


A long structural member that supports the floor or roof.


A beam supported on jack studs, foundation walls, piles or piers and carrying joists, jack studs or subfloor training.


A sloping edge. 


Weatherboards that taper to a thin upper edge.

Bottom Plate

The piece of timber in the wall frame that sits on the floor and forms the bottom of the wall.

Building Act 2004

The legislation governing the building industry and building work in New Zealand.

Building Code

Regulations within the Building Act 2004 that state the minimum performance standards that building work must meet. Compliance with the Building Code is mandatory. 

Building Consent

Approval given by a building consent authority (usually your local council) to undertake building work.


Also known as an overhanging beam, where one end is fixed and the other is unsupported. 


A side-opening window (vertical hinge like a door). 

Cavity Slider

A door that disappears into the wall cavity when open.

Ceiling Battens

Timber or metal strips used to connect lining to roof framing.


An ornamental timber or plaster moulding along the junction between wall and ceiling.


Curvature across the width of a plank or board.


The degree to which a structural element is displaced under a load.


When composite materials split apart into layers.

Double Glazing

A double-glazed window or door consists of two sheets of glass spaced apart in a frame. The space between the panes may contain dry air or argon gas.


Also called sash windows. They are windows where both sashes slide open vertically. 


Damp proof membrane.


Also known as a nog or noggin. The horizontal bracings between the vertical studs in wall framing.


Acceptable solution under the Building Code. Covers weathertightness of the building. 


The lower part of a roof that overhangs the walls. 


The board that runs along the edge of the roof at the eaves. Guttering is usually attached to the fascia.


A projecting flat ridge, rim, or collar on an object, to help strengthen it or attach it to something.


A strip of metal used in parts of a building to prevent penetration of moisture where different components meet. Flashing is used above windows so rain can't seep through gaps. 


A thin layer of zinc on an iron sheet or element to help protect the iron from corrosion.


The side-post, frame or lining of a window or door. 


Horizontal framing which supports a floor or ceiling.


Also called lino. A washable floor covering made of ingredients that may include linseed oil, pine resin, wood, cork and others on a backing made of jute. 


A horizontal support of timber, stone, concrete or steel spanning across the top of a door or window. 


The joint between two pieces of wood at an angle of 90°. 

Mortice And Tenon Joint

A timber joint made up of a shape (the mortice) cut out of a piece of timber into which is fixed the similarly shaped end (the tenon) of another piece of timber.

Nib Wall

A short section of wall that juts out at 90 degrees from the floor. It allows you to separate parts of rooms. Usually used in bathrooms to seperate off the toilet but still allow the feeling of space. 


The rounded edge of a stair that extends beyond the step. 


Also known as chipboard. A sheet panel manufactured by bonding together particles of wood.


A block or column-like support used to support the building above the ground.


A render or mixture for spreading onto walls to form a surface. It can be used internally or externally and moulded to decorate.  


The horizontal length of the wall frame. 


A sheet material where layers of wood veneer are glued together. 


Repairing or replacing mortar in masonry.


A paint finish applied to metal giving it a high-quality durable finish. 


A horizontal beam along the length of a roof which supports the rafters and the roof cladding. 


Framing that is normally parallel to the slope of the roof that provides support for the roof. 

Saddle Flashing

Flashing to the top of a parapet or cornice.


A frame containing a pane or panes of glass that can move up and down. It is fitted in the window frame.


A moulding used to cover an uneven gap.


A horizontal piece of wood at the foot of a door or window.

Skillion Roof

A pitched roof where the ceiling lining is parallel and close to the roof cladding.


Flashings at the exterior joint of weatherboards. 


The lower face or undersurface of the eaves of a roof.


Inclined support carrying the ends of the steps of a stairway.


Horizontal framing timber on edge fixed to the side of a concrete or masonry wall to support the ends of joists or rafters.


A vertical support forming part of a load-bearing external wall frame or of an internal wall partition.


The material or structure beneath a cladding, coating, finish or membrane.


Also known as chips or shavings. Produced by a machining operation. 


Fixed horizontal under the rafters. 


Many people say that building a house can be very stressful, but there was no stress throughout the entire build, just joy and excitement watching our house be created.
Jo Kettle and Kevin Tyler